Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Japan Day 12 Pt. 2 Bath Time


Okay, this deserved it's own section. Bath time in Japan, at least traditionally, has some ceremony and requires a few steps. Furo, or ofuro, is kind of like a tub that is filled usually with really hot water. However, one does not wash or bathe in the furo. The furo is meant for soaking and relaxing. Also, the same water in the furo is used by every family member so one must already be clean before getting in.

Being the guest of honor, I was told to bathe first. So, I had to do all the showering, soaping, shampooing, and rinsing outside of the tub. There is usually a small stool for you to sit on and a basin of water if a shower is not available. Thankfully, they had a really nice shower that even regulates the water temperature electronically. After making sure that I was totally clean and rinsed off with no soap suds on my body, I then slipped into the tub for a really HOT bath.

No comments: